These comprehension questions and activities can be used as:
- comprehension analysis (confirming understanding)
- reader’s/writer’s notebook activities
- informal assessment
COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS – FICTION
- If you were the author, what would you change in the audiobook? Why?
- Who would you recommend this title to? Why?
- Why do you think the author wrote this audiobook?
- What time period did the audiobook take place? How do you know?
- Do you know of other titles the author has written?
- Do you think the characters would fit in well with your friends or family? Why or why not?
- What did the author do to make the audiobook interesting or funny?
- What caused the character to feel the way he/she does?
- Is the audiobook realistic fiction or fantasy? How do you know?
- How did the main character change throughout the audiobook?
- What is the conflict in the audiobook and how did it get resolved?
COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS – NON-FICTION
- What predictions can you make based on what you already know about the topic?
- What do you think you will learn from this book based on what you’ve already listened to?
- Reflect on the events of the audiobook. What are your ideas or thoughts about them?
- Does listening to a title about this topic remind you of anything you’ve read before?
- What are examples of words the author used to help you better understand the audiobook?
- Where could you find more information about the topic you listened to today?
- How can you tell the audiobook is non-fiction?
- Do you agree or disagree with the ideas in the audiobook?
- What other titles have you read or listened to that help you understand the culture or setting of this audiobook?
- Create a word search using 6 words from the text
- If the audiobook happened in a different country than yours, write how it would be different in your country
- Create a comic strip of the series of events in the title (at least 6 sections)
- Write and record a pretend radio announcement about the audiobook
- List the cause and effect of at least 2 events in the audiobook
- Create a diorama from a scene in the audiobook
- Design a bulletin board to promote the audiobook