Tales2go is a signatory to the Student Privacy Pledge (studentprivacypledge.org). As a school service provider, we take seriously our responsibility to both support the effective use of student information and safeguard student privacy and information security. We pledge to carry out responsible stewardship and appropriate use of student personal information according to the commitments below and in adherence to all laws applicable to us as a school service provider.
We Commit To:
- Not collect, maintain, use or share student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not sell student personal information.
- Not use or disclose student information collected through an educational/school service (whether personal information or otherwise) for behavioral targeting of advertisements to students.
- Not build a personal profile of a student other than for supporting authorized educational/school purposes or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Not make material changes to school service provider consumer privacy policies without first providing prominent notice to the account holder(s) (i.e., the educational institution/agency, or the parent/student when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent) and allowing them choices before data is used in any manner inconsistent with terms they were initially provided; and not make material changes to other policies or practices governing the use of student personal information that are inconsistent with contractual requirements.
- Not knowingly retain student personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student.
- Collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student.
- Disclose clearly in contracts or privacy policies, including in a manner easy for parents to understand, what types of student personal information we collect, if any, and the purposes for which the information we maintain is used or shared with third parties.
- Support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, either by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements or directly when the information is collected directly from the student with student/parent consent.
- Maintain a comprehensive security program that is reasonably designed to protect the security, privacy, confidentiality, and integrity of student personal information against risks – such as unauthorized access or use, or unintended or inappropriate disclosure – through the use of administrative, technological, and physical safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Require that our vendors with whom student personal information is shared in order to deliver the educational service, if any, are obligated to implement these same commitments for the given student personal information.
- Allow a successor entity to maintain the student personal information, in the case of our merger or acquisition by another entity, provided the successor entity is subject to these same commitments for the previously collected student personal information
Although our business is focused on the school market, Tales2go is also a service available to parents. Tales2go does not target nor seek to collect personally identifiable information from children 13 years or younger. Parents register and provide Tales2go with an email address and password which are used to name and access an account, and allow parents to connect multiple devices to a single trial or subscription. Any parental purchase of Tales2go requires either a credit card or use of a parent’s app store account (which requires a password).
Personal data which we collect from people who visit the Tales2go website and/or subscribe to our service. For sake of clarity, we treat student data as per the above Student Privacy Pledge:
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We collect a variety of information about our customers and visitors to the Tales2go website. This personal data falls into the following categories:
Identity Data includes title, first name, last name, username or similar identifier and an encrypted version of your login/password. If you interact with us through social media, this may include your social media user name.
Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
Financial Data includes payment card details through our partner PayPal.
Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, preferences, feedback and survey responses, as well as any profile data which we have added (for example, using analytics and profiling).
Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
Usage Data includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
Tracking Data includes information we or others collect about you from cookies and similar tracking technologies, such as web beacons, pixels, and mobile identifiers.
Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving direct marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect and use Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data to operate Tales2go, such as calculating publisher payments from listening minutes. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not legally considered personal as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
Remember, if you choose not to share personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we might not be able to provide the products and services you’ve asked for.
How is your personal data collected?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by mail, fax, phone, email or through chat or social media.
This includes personal data you provide when you:
- sign up to receive the Tales2go newsletter;
- make inquiries or request information be sent to you;
- create a Tales2go account;
- order our products or services;
- ask for marketing, white papers, etc. to be sent to you;
- engage with us on social media;
- contact customer service; or
- leave comments or reviews on our products or services.
Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with us, including via the Tales2go website, we may automatically collect Technical Data about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We may also collect Tracking Data when you use our website, or when you click on one of our ads (including those shown on third party websites).
Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various types of third parties, including:
Technical Data and/or Tracking Data from analytics providers and search information providers;
Contact, Financial and Transaction Data from providers of payment and fraud prevention services;
Data from any third parties who are permitted by law or have your permission to share your personal data with us, such as via social media or review sites We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
How we use your personal data:
Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you. For example, when you purchase our products, that’s a contract.
Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. For example, in responding to a customer service request or setting up a school account.
Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation. For example, keeping records of our sales for tax compliance.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than where the law requires it, for example in relation to sending certain marketing communications. Where our legal basis is consent, you have the right to withdraw consent any time, including clicking unsubscribe buttons at the bottom of any Tales2go, email, newsletter or blog. Tales2go also works with third party vendors who provide customer service and content marketing platforms. We are working with them to enhance overall transparency and consent within their platforms – as they satisfy new new European Union General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) – such as when someone submits a form for pricing or a quote, or subscribes to our blog.
Marketing and your communications preferences:
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Tracking, Usage and Profile Data to form a picture of what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you and tell you about them. This is what we call direct marketing, noting (as above) we do not target nor market to children 13 years or younger. Our marketing is focused on educators and school administrators.
We may carry out direct marketing by email, phone, text or blog. For example, you might have the Tales2go newsletter arrive in your inbox or an email promoting a the Tales2go blog or white paper.
On our website, we always try hard to make it really clear what we are doing and what communications you will be sent, whether it’s you deciding to sign up to the Tales2go newsletter or as part of creating an account or the purchase journey – and you have a right at any time to change your mind and say no thank you and opt out. The easiest way to opt out is to use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the communication.
You can also always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask us to remove you from any marketing list.
Tracking Data, and in particular cookies, help us to deliver website and social advertising that we believe is most relevant to you and to potential new customers of Tales2go. The cookies used for this purpose are often placed on our website by third party vendors, who Tales2go is working with to implement greater transparency and consent consistent with the new European Union General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Cookies can also tell us if you have been to a particular page on our website, and how long it has been since you have visited the site. This is helpful, because it means we can control the effectiveness of our marketing messages. Cookies also help us understand if you’ve opened a marketing email because we don’t want to send you things you don’t read.
Cookies are a tool which we (and everyone one else who operates online) use keep track of a customer’s account and their preferences. Cookies also help Tales2go work better and provide lots of help in the background to make the process of a prospective buyers journey or being a Tales2go customer a lot easier. You’d miss a lot of these things if they were gone – like remembering your login credentials, favorites or bookmarks.
Other cookies collect information about how visitors use the Tales2go website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and what white papers they decided to download. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and used to improve Tales2go marketing efforts and how the Tales2go service works.
Who do we share your personally indentifiable information with?
However, we may disclose information you provide if required to do so by law or if we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to (1) comply with the law or with legal process served on us; (2) protect and defend our rights or property; or (3) act in an emergency to protect someone’s safety.
What else should you know about your privacy?
We have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These security measures include a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to our systems. Although we will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and we accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
Terms of Service
By using the Tales2go.com website, software downloads and any related services (collectively, “Tales2Go Service”), a service of Tales2Go Inc. (“Tales2Go”), you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Service”).
We seek to follow industry standard measures to protect against unauthorized access to personal information but you should recognize that no Internet site can fully eliminate security risks. Use of the Tales2go Service should be with consideration of these risks.
- You are responsible for keeping your password secure and are responsible for any use of your password by others.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Tales2go Service or modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with Tales2Go.
- You are only licensed to use the Tales2go Service during your subscription term. You must abide by the appropriate copyright licensing provisions for use and/or redistribution of any content available on the site or through its applications, which may include, but is not limited to, a prohibition against reproducing that content as available through the site or its applications, the redistribution of the same, or any other conduct specifically prohibited in such copyright holder’s end user agreement.
- You may not use the Tales2go service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. International users agree to comply with all local laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content.
- In the event of the addition of any messaging capabilities, you must not create or submit unwanted email to any Tales2go Service members or use the service to send spam.
- You must not transmit any worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature.
- You must not, in the use of the Tales2go Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws). Violation of any of these agreements or of any applicable laws may result in the termination of your account. While Tales2go prohibits such conduct and content on its site, you understand and agree that Tales2go cannot be responsible for content posted, submitted, or otherwise made available on its web site or the conduct of other users. You further agree that nonetheless you may be exposed to such materials and that you use the Tales2go service at your own risk.
By providing preference information, personal information, ratings, and other content (“Content”), you agree to let Tales2go use your content to help you and other users find digital entertainment of interest to them. You also agree to let Tales2go use your Content in any manner Tales2Go chooses. Tales2go undertakes to obey copyright laws. We will review all claims of copyright infringement received and remove content deemed to have been posted or distributed in violation of any such laws.
To make a claim regarding copyright infringement, please provide us with the following pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or the person authorized to act on their behalf.
- A description of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed.
- A description of the infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit Tales2go to locate the material.
- Your contact information, including your address, telephone number, and email.
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and, under the penalties of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Claims can be sent to email@example.com. Written communication can be sent to Copyright, Tales2Go, Inc., 4701 Sangamore Road, Suite S230, Bethesda, MD 20816.
Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitation of Liability
YOU ACCEPT THE TALES2GO SERVICE, EVERYTHING LINKED TO THE TALES2GO SERVICE AND ALL SERVICES PROVIDED BY TALES2GO “AS IS,” “WITH ALL FAULTS”, AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, OMISSIONS, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS AND DELAYS. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AND EXCEPT FOR INTENTIONAL ACTS OR GROSS NEGLIGENCE, YOU WAIVE ALL CLAIMS AGAINST TALES2GO FOR ANY CLAIMS RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE TALES2GO SERVICE, OR ITS PERFORMANCE, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE. IN ANY EVENT: (A) YOU WAIVE ANY CLAIMS FOR LOST PROFITS OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, REGARDLESS OF THE FORESEEABILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES; AND (B) DAMAGES BY YOU AGAINST TALES2GO ARE LIMITED TO SUBSCRIPTION FEES PAID BY YOU DURING THE PROCEEDING TWELVE MONTHS.
Governing Law and Venue
Our agreement is made in and shall be governed by and construed under applicable state of Maryland and federal laws without reference to choice of law rules. You consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts located in the state of Maryland for the resolution of any disputes.
Ability to Accept Terms
You affirm that you are more than 18 years of age and are fully able and competent to enter into and comply with these Terms of Service, and that you have authority to bind any other users who use the Tales2go Services with your consent or with your username or password.
We reserve the right to modify or terminate the Tales2Go Service for any reason, without notice at any time. We also reserve the right to alter these Terms of Service at any time, so you agree to frequently check for any changes in the Terms of Service and to notify us immediately if you do not agree to any of the changes. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time and may, but have no obligation to, remove content that we determine in our sole discretion to be unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s intellectual property or these Terms of Service.The provisions of these Terms of Service which by their nature are intended to survive termination of any agreement or subscription shall survive such termination, including without limitation the provisions in the paragraphs above entitled Basic Terms, Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitations of Liability, and Governing Law and Venue.